Thursday, December 23, 2004

St. John

Our sister island of St. John is just four miles east, across Pillsbury Sound. It's only a 15-20 minute ferry ride from the terminal at Red Hook, an area on the east end of St. Thomas. Even so (I'm embarrassed to say), I hadn't been to St. John in a year-and-a-half. Boyfriend often plays gigs over there, mostly weddings or corporate functions. But about a month ago he signed on to play a jazz jam session every Sunday. I had yet to go to the gig with him, even though I adore St. John. Last week he said, "You have to go on Sunday. Everyone keeps asking me where you are..." So I went. And as soon as we pulled out of Red Hook--on a gloriously sunny day--I turned to my love and said, "You need to make me do this every Sunday." He told me that one of the main reasons he took the gig was so that I could go with him and 'escape' for a few hours. (Have you noticed the name of my blog?!) Below are a few photos of my time there last Sunday spent strolling...and browsing...and shopping...and just generally relaxing. I only wish I could bring you all here to enjoy a Sunday on St. John with me. Believe me, it's just what the doctor ordered for this time of year. I feel almost guilty that I'm not experiencing all of the holiday stress that I read about in other blogs and journals. Almost. :) So spend a couple of minutes with me here and imagine yourself in de islands, mon. Let all that stress just melt away...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful pictures, Marilyn! I'm glad you escaped from the island for a little while - thanks for sharing your day :)
~ sam

10:08 AM  
Blogger lizardek said...

Great photos! I've only been to St. Thomas and it was for a short (spendy) vacation in 1994, but it was SO beautiful there. I wish I had had time to pop over to St. John as well.

Got your card today, thank you! :)

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home