Saturday, September 11, 2004

Reelin' 'em in...

Kudos to my 6-year-old niece, C., who went fishing with her Dad (and the rest of her family) last Sunday and managed to reel in not one, but TWO, 10-lb. salmon on this river. Word has it that after a bit of struggle with the first fish, she complained to her Dad (my brother) that she was tired. He told her she could either cut her fish loose or reel it in herself--he wasn't going to do it for her. (That might sound mean, but the kids always love it after the fact when he makes them do something themselves.) He said the first fish put up quite a fight with her, but she got it in. And then went and caught a second one.

My brother and sister-in-law are hosting a salmon feed at their bar tonight. I congratulated C. on contributing to the salmon haul for the feed. I asked if her muscles were tired after all that hard work. She said, "My WRISTS were." She's one tough little cookie.

Recently she asked me on the phone, "Have you guys decided yet if you're moving to Davis or Dixon?" (The towns are next to each other.) I said, "Well, there's a cool little second grader who lives in Dixon. I'd sort of like to live near her." She seemed confused at first and then (realization dawning) asked, "Who? Me?!" and giggled. Yes you, C., and I can't wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Nieces are the best! I've got one that just turned 6 too. She's just so..CUTE!!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home