Monday, September 08, 2003

Last evening...dusk...boyfriend had already gone to his gig...I walked outside to take out some trash...went up the flight of stairs to the street...and was hit by the image of that big, nearly-full moon...with a big halo around it. It looked beautiful...magical...mythical...mysterious. And it immediately made me want to connect with my 5-year-old niece. I don't know why, it just did. I walked back into the house and went straight to the phone. She answered the phone and I learned she was home with a sitter. When I asked where her Dad and Mom (my brother and sister-in-law) were, she said that they were "at a big, big baseball game--the kind you see on TV!" I asked if she knew if they were at an A's or a Giants game--she didn't know. I asked if she had liked the beach picture I had mailed to her. She said she did, and then she rifled through her things to find it so she could look at it while we were talking. She asked, "Did you cut this out?" I said that yes, I had cut out the shapes and then glued them to the paper. (It included a large palm tree whose fronds extended beyond the edge of the paper.) She said, "Wow. You cut good!" I laughed and said that I've had a lot of years to learn how to use the scissors well. And it tickled me that I go through my life multi-tasking and being organized and sometimes acting like a Miss Smarty Pants...and sometimes what's really important is just knowing how to cut good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home