Monday, June 21, 2004

Chuck

Just read on Lopie's Journal about her just-completed trip to St. Louis where they saw a Chuck Berry show.

When I think of Chuck, I think "cash up front." When Chuck Berry goes on the road, he travels without a band. He's actually quite notorious for it. He plays with a pick-up band in each town--guys he's never met and never rehearsed with. And he always likes to be paid before he hits the stage. I don't know if he accepts only cash, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Boyfriend was in the pick-up band when Chuck played Portland once. He told me that Chuck showed up right at showtime...found the promoter and got paid...walked on stage where the band was already set up and nervously waiting...plugged in his guitar...called out a tune over his shoulder...and they were off and running. Needless to say, it's kind of a nerve-wracking gig to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home