Monday, July 26, 2004

Memory Jog

Okay, that was weird...but in a good way.  We had just finished watching "The Tavis Smiley Show" on PBS last night.  (Denzel was the guest, and looking very fine in his suit.)  We switched over to CBS to watch "60 Minutes."  And during the tease, where they show highlights of the upcoming segments, there was a shot of Lesley Stahl interviewing...(could it be?!)...an old friend of mine.  It was a feature on a famous surfer who's featured in a new film.  I've already posted about said friend's review of this new surf film (7/18).

It made me laugh, seeing my old pal on "60 Minutes."  Although we exchange the occasional email, we haven't seen each other in years.  I tried to think back to the last time we saw each other and I think it was 11 years ago. 

I had spent a couple of months at my mother's place in Lucerne (California, not Switzerland).  She'd gotten it into her head that she wanted to sell all of her possessions and move to Santa Fe.  Now, if you knew my mother you'd know that would include a LOT of possessions.  Like a two-story house-full plus a 40-foot storage container.  We had a 'sale' for weeks, exhibiting items both inside and outside the house.  She kept most of her (thousands of) books (shipping them ahead of her arrival), but she did sell almost everything else.  She loaded up her white van and split for the desert.  And I hopped in my funky Monte Carlo and drove to San Francisco where I had a job producing an infomercial waiting for me.

But in going through decades worth of her possessions, we'd come across some records she had from her days as the office manager at my hometown AM station in the early 60's.  Among those was an interview (for an armed services broadcast network, I think) with the father of the "60 Minutes" interviewee.  His father was a well-known Hollywood composer and arranger.  He worked with some heavy-hitters (like Sinatra).  My friend had grown up in Malibu (hence his life-long interest in surfing).  His father had passed away many years before and I knew that that record was something he'd like to have (and to hear).  So I called him up one day from the production office in San Francisco, and he stopped by to pick it up.  And that's the last time we saw each other.

So it tickled me to unexpectedly see my old pal show up on TV last night.  I'll have to drop him a line and let him know I saw it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home