Monday, July 19, 2004

elemental

"The fortnight ending, I lingered on, and as the year lengthened into autumn, the beauty and mystery of this earth and outer sea so possessed and held me that I could not go.  The world to-day is sick to its thin blood for lack of elemental things, for fire before the hands, for water welling from the earth, for air, for the dear earth itself underfoot.  In my world of beach and dune these elemental presences lived and had their being, and under their arch there moved an incomparable pageant of nature and the year. "
 
                   - The Outermost House, Henry Beston (1928)

1 Comments:

Blogger Holly Miller said...

There is something really special about the place where the ocean meets the land. I, too, live on an island, though not a tropical one. When I finally scrape out time to go to the beach I find it hard to leave.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home