Sunday, July 18, 2004

page*crawl

As I was sitting at the laptop waiting for a photo on someone's site to load, my eyes drifted above the monitor to the shelves across the room.  I suddenly felt compelled to grab an armful of books and capture a phrase or sentence from the same page in each book...15 was the first number that came to mind...
 
The rats were the first thing she heard one morning / bearing Betty Crocker cake mixes into the jungle / paddling at the air with loose-hinged hands / knitting needles dropping to the floor / I swoon over the beauties of the world / my mood ring went black / made me feel churlish, a dweller on the bad side / while the residents know what they want, we didn’t have the foggiest idea / its small internal tug pulled tight like the strings on a cloth purse / her life was going to be wrecked because he had led her astray with his own enthusiasm / she would have been unable to resist asking me how I knew such a thing / after lying horizontally all winter / your young body is instantly a fresh-lit arrow notched and drawn back and about to be loosed / people whose one fatal mistake was to dab their hair with aromatic gel. 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, you are correct. In fact there are two Kingsolvers along with Karr, Lamott, Divakaruni, Severgnini, Cunningham, Burroughs, Bryson, Greenlaw, Bohjalian, Hamilton and Franzen. (I give away almost all of my books once I'm done with them, so don't have a lot left to choose from...but next time I'll try to pull different authors.) -Marilyn

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have mentioned re the authors...but not in that order. :) -Marilyn

6:01 AM  
Blogger Holly Miller said...

That was a very cool idea. I will have to try it sometime.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home