Thursday, April 29, 2004

Instruments??

Last night I emerged from the bedroom where I'd been on a marathon phone call with my mother to find my boyfriend watching a show about Outkast on VH-1. That was immediately followed, much to our delight, by a half-hour special with Prince. At the end of the show, Prince sat down for a very brief interview with some incredibly lame one-name veejay (Sway?) You'll understand in a moment why I couldn't be bothered to remember his ridiculous moniker.

He asked Prince if he was coming back with all this new music now because he thought there was something missing from the current music scene. Prince said he doesn't hear a lot of musicians now. The veejay asked Prince if he thought musicianship--playing instruments--was important to bring back. I looked over at my boyfriend with my mouth agape. He looked back at me with raised eyebrows, as if to say, "That pretty much says it all." I'm either getting REALLY old or there's something seriously wrong with that exchange.

During the the Prince show, boyfriend said, "There's not a musician in the world that doesn't like Prince." No sooner were those words out of his mouth when they showed one of the guys from The Roots saying, "Prince is liked by musician's musicians. I'm a musician's musician and I love Prince."

I'm just glad that I live with someone who's a musician's musician.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home