Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Donna

Our non-voting Delegate to Congress, Donna Christian Christenson, has just finished  speaking at the DNC.  She said that it's the first time a representative from one of the territories has been allowed to address a major party convention--can that be right?  She mentioned several health issues of concern to Islanders, and stressed that we (in the territories) should be allowed to vote in federal elections.  C-Span cut to the V.I. delegation several times while she was speaking.  They were cheering wildly, of course.  And there was our Governor, Charles Turnbull, wearing a big, baggy, wrinkled shirt.  Dem island folk, mon!  :)

It was nice to have our little islands represented in the speaker line-up. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn! I've been meaning to stop by and post for ages, especially when I read the entry before this one. Good lord, as if working wasn't bad enough, you've got to be shackled to this dismal rock for another 7 months? I feel for you.

I am certainly showing my ignorance here, but I am wondering what the rational is behind not allowing islanders (or anyone in a US territory) to vote. How can that possibly be fair? Any ideas, thoughts, opinions?

Heather

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I don't understand the rationale behind excluding territorial residents from the voting process. It's been a source of real frustration for me, both in 2000 and again this year. It's especially hard to understand when we have many territorial citizens serving in the military. Notice that Donna is a NON-VOTING delegate. We're excluded from having a Congressional voice, as well. --Marilyn

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home