Monday, July 05, 2004

Warning! Warning!

Those of us who grew up in the '60's (yes, young 'uns, there really are bloggers that old) can recall the robot on "Lost in Space." It was a pathetic, rotund thing with arms that looked like they were made out of dryer vent hoses. I loved when it would light up, flail its arms and call out, "Warning! Warning!" (That was the height of its sophisticated programming.)

I thought of that robot today when I awoke from a mid-morning nap at the beach (in my sand chair), casually turned my head...and spotted the attorney from work and her live-in boyfriend sitting all of five yards away from me. They smiled and waved. My first thought was, "What are they doing here? I've never seen them here." She later told me that she hadn't been there in a couple of years and that she'd only headed to the beach to go for a swim. (She doesn't need to go to the beach for a swim because they have a pool.) Thankfully, they only stayed a short time, but it was disconcerting to have my work life intrude on my real life. Bad! Bad! So very bad.

You'd probably be surprised to learn that I actually had some things I wanted to accomplish this three-day weekend--you know, like goals (or at least items on a 'to do' list). You probably won't be surprised to learn that I did none of them. Knowing we're moving, the beach has become too much of a lure--not only because I'm a procrastinator, but also because I want to take advantage of it while I can. And I certainly did these past three days.

Unfortunately, the boyfriend had to work today and he was none too happy about it in light of me having the day off. (I get tons of paid holidays; he only gets a few.) He's still kinda cranky but he did cook dinner, so I guess he's "forgiven" me for spending the day at the beach. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danger, Will Robinson!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home