Tuesday, February 08, 2005

inspiration

I subscribe to Jennifer Louden's Comfort Queen newsletter. In today's issue, she talked about inspiration and asked readers to email what inspires them. I thought that was a good question to start my day, so I made a quick list:

* Phone conversations with my 7-year-old niece - Her 'worldview' reminds me to open up and look at things through enthusiastic eyes.

* My boyfriend's creativity - Nothing like having a creative mate to make me want to tap into my own creative self!

* Walking on the beach - Letting my mind drift while I wade through the warm tropical bay waters...feeling the sand on my feet and between my toes...and letting it ground me after a day spent in a less-than-authentic workplace.

* Synchronicity - Paying attention when things start weaving together. The World Wide Web assists me in creating my own personal web...and safety net.

* Fearlessness - My own and others'...it's much easier to 'leap' if there's a net (see earlier item). I feel embraced by my online community and do my best to 'spot' them, too.

* Good writing - It doesn't have to be fancy or high-falutin'...it just has to feel/sound authentic. Do I hear someone's truth (even if it doesn't match mine)?

* 24-hour reset button - The fact that I'm gifted with a new day...and that it's up to me whether I want to maintain the status quo or re-create my perceptions and, therefore, my reality. It's like a constant universal "do-over" option, and when I acknowledge and appreciate it, things open up.

* Nature - All it takes is a look or stroll outside to remind me of how much beauty there is in this world.

* Stars - I'm fortunate to live in a place where the night sky can be seen in all its spectacular glory...a free and painless perspective shifter.

* Compassion - I struggle to find my own vein of compassion sometimes. Often the best way to tap into it is to read/hear stories of others' compassionate acts.

The first definition for inspire in my dictionary is: "to stimulate (a person) to creative or other activity or to express certain ideas." May the wand of inspiration wave over this day for you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

All that walking through the warm water---you're killing me. I'll think of you with a hint of jealousy as I walk to my car tonight in 3 to 5 inches of snow (and then get up and snow-blow at 5 am tomorrow morning). Sigh.

Enjoy a warm breeze for me tonight. ;-)

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that list! so many of those inspirations are mine as well...particularly the stars and synchronicity.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home