Friday, January 14, 2005

low blood sugar

Me, to the Secretary after everyone else had left the office, “Jeez, it’s been almost an hour. I think I’ll call and see if our food’s on the way.”

(dialing number of delivery place from memory)

A West Indian girl answers the phone and says something distorted and unintelligible. Lots of background noise.

Me: “Hi, this is Marilyn at (extremely boring workplace). I was calling to check on our order.”

Girl: “Um…(sounding baffled)…what did you order?”

Me, huffily, “A chef’s salad and a veggie burger pita pocket. I ordered it from you an hour ago.”

Girl, against lots of background noise and sounding increasingly confused, “I didn’t take your order. Can you tell me again what it was?"

Me, thinking, “What’s WRONG with her? What does she mean ‘I didn’t take your order’? We order from them ALL THE TIME! Where’s the owner when I need her?!"

Me, saying in a very pissed off voice, “A chef’s salad and a veggie burger pita!” (Dammit!)

Girl, turning to coworkers and asking in a loud voice, “Did anyone take an order for (extremely boring office) for a chef’s salad and veggie burger?”

(Lots of muffled voices.)

Me, seriously ticked off, “DO I HAVE TO PLACE THE ORDER AGAIN?! DID YOU LOSE OUR ORDER?! Hello? HELLO?! DID SHE PUT THE PHONE DOWN?!”

New voice on phone, “Hi, may I help you?”

Me, recognizing the voice of the owner of the OTHER lunch place…the one we DIDN’T order from, “I’m sorry, I have the wrong number.”

(click.)

Remind me never to show my face at the other place again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh ouch! hahahaha!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me, lizardek. Stupid Blogger.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home